Monday 9 January 2017

Top tips for getting hired at an Americamp Recruitment Fair!


It's that time of the year again! CAMP JOB FAIRS SEASON!

Every year, hundreds of people are hired at camp fairs across the country, and now it's your turn!

In January 2015 I was hired at a camp fair in Dublin; and these are my top tips to getting #plACed on the day.

1. Arrive early;

I cannot stress this enough, the importance of being early and being prepared. It's going to be a long day, but the earlier you arrive, the less you have to wait in line when you get in to the room.

2. Bring your application;

Personally, if I were you I'd bring at least 8-10 printed copies of your application. The jobs fairs tend to last for four of five hours, so make sure you have enough copies.

3. Do your research;

Before you arrive at the fair, make sure you have researched the camps - this is key. My top tip for this, is sitting down the night before the fair and drawing up a list of camps you are interested in interviewing with. Check what they are looking for, and highlight the areas of your application that relate. This makes it easier for the directors to pinpoint the relevant parts of your application. To see a list of the camps that will be at the Americamp fairs, just click here.

4. Don't give up;

Please don't get disheartened if you don't get placed straight away. Keep going. I nearly gave up after being rejected by 6 different directors, before being the last person in the room hired at AHRC Camp Anne. I'm so thankful I didn't leave the room after those six rejections, because I would never have been able to experience the two most inspiring summers had I given up. Check out my time at AHRC Camp Anne here!



5. Be YOU;

One of the amazing things about camp is the many personalities and characters that make up such a diverse and multi-cultural set of staff. Be yourself at the fair and be sure show the director your personality. I'd recommend bringing a tablet or an iPad with a photo portfolio showing your skills.

6. Be willing to try something new;

Most people who go to the fairs will have a preferred camp, but the harsh reality is that the majority of applicants will not get placed at their first choice. This is why you need to be willing to push yourself out of your comfort zone and take a risk. When I got my 6 rejections last year, I was interviewed by Camp Anne, a special needs camp, and it was the most worthwhile decision of my life to accept their offer of a placement.


Where are the Americamp fair locations this year?

Dublin;

Thursday 12th January 2017 3pm-7pm
The Spencer Hotel Excise Walk, IFSC, Dublin 1

Edinburgh;

Thursday 12th January 2017 3pm-7pm
The George 19-21 George St, Edinburgh, EH2 2PB

London;

Saturday 14th January 2017 12pm - 4pm
Kensington Town Hall Hornton Street, London, W8 7NX

Leeds;

Sunday 15th January 2017 12pm-4pm
The Queen’s Hotel City Square, Leeds, LS1 1PJ


No comments:

Post a Comment